Level 3 Coaching and Mentoring
<< Return to the qualification finder
Get practical experience of coaching and mentoring at work
Who is this qualification for?
This qualification is designed for people in their first management roles – including team leaders and first-line managers. Get the tools and confidence to coach people as part of your normal working role.
Results for you
• Know what it takes to be an effective coach in your workplace
• Understand how coaching works – learn a coaching model and tools and techniques to support it
• Put your new skills into practice in your job – carry out supervised coaching sessions
• Analyse, assess and plan to improve your own coaching abilityImpact for your employer
• Implement coaching to improve performance in your organisation
• Ensure the managers you develop as coaches are properly equipped with the skills, knowledge and ethical understanding they need to be effective
• Measurable impact from supervised coaching sessions carried out as part of this qualification
Focus on the skills you need
There are three mandatory units in this qualification, which you can take as either an Award or a Certificate. ‘Understanding good practice in workplace coaching’ covers the role of coaching, basic coaching processes and the abilities and qualities you need to be a good coach. ‘Reflecting on workplace coaching skills’ will give you the tools to analyse and improve your own performance as a coach. ‘Undertaking coaching in the workplace’ requires you to plan and carry out at least six hours of coaching, with supervision and support. At Certificate level, this unit is replaced by ‘Undertaking an extended period of coaching in the workplace’, which requires at least 36 hours of coaching for a deeper level of skill and experience.
Full qualification details
Information for ILM centres
For each qualification select the units you want to deliver using the qualification specification builder. The builder does NOT verify if your selection of units meets the ‘rules of combination’. Rules are displayed at the top of each qualification page. If you have any questions about unit combinations please contact ILM Customer Services or your EV.
Create qualification specification >>
Level 3 Certificate in Mentoring (FPR)
Level 3 Award in Coaching
Select units for creation of specification
• Time commitment: minimum 21 hours of structured learning, plus self-study, project work and assignments
• Three mandatory units
Level 3 Certificate in Coaching
• Time commitment: : minimum 27 hours of structured learning, plus self-study, project work and assignments
• Three mandatory units