Employers and providers have been working together to develop T Levels, with support from Department for Education and the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education (the Institute). Groups of employers have participated in T Level panels to define the skills and requirements for each T Level course.
The Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education (the institute) and the Department for Education (DfE) has awarded ILM and City & Guilds to be the delivery partner for new T Level technical qualifications (TQs) in Management and Administration, from September 2022.
Equivalent to three A-Levels
The T Level focuses on vocational skills and can help learners into skilled employment, higher study or apprenticeships.
A 45-day industry placement
Each T Level includes an in-depth industry placement that lasts at least 45 days and can be offered with up to two employers. Learners get valuable experience in the workplace; employers get early sight of the new talent in their industry.
80% Classroom, 20% Work
T Level learners spend 80% of the course in the classroom, learning the skills that employers need. The other 20% is a meaningful industry placement, where they put these skills into action.
An overall grade will be awarded
Learners who complete their T Level will receive an overall grade of pass, merit, distinction or distinction*. They will get a nationally recognised certificate which will show their overall grade and a breakdown of what they have achieved.
The T Level graduates will also receive:
- a separate grade for the core component, using A* to E
- a separate grade for each occupational specialism, shown as pass, merit or distinction.
T Levels are based on the same standards as apprenticeships, designed by employers and approved by the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
To ensure the new T Level is fit for purpose and reflects the knowledge and skills learners need to succeed, we are working with employers and industry leaders in the design and development of the T Level technical qualification in Management and Administration.
Our Employer Industry Board (EIB)
We have set up an Employer Industry Board (EIB) for the Management, Business and Digital sector to give employers a voice in skills development. The EIB is formed of a group of trusted representatives from a range of sectors. The group meets quarterly to carry out in-depth analysis and debate, and also to feed into the developments of T Levels for 16-19-year-olds, apprenticeships and the review of existing programmes - to help develop the workforce of the future.
Visit our dedicated page to learn more
Get involved and help shape the future of T Levels
The government is driving for more employer involvement across all forms of training and we would like you to be part of that discussion.
We are currently looking for new employers to join and support our established employer industry board for Management, Business and Digital. If you are interested in becoming an industry board member, please complete our expression of interest form and one of our industry managers will be in contact very shortly. There are also opportunities to support other industries such as Construction, Building Services Engineering, Management and Engineering.
Complete the expression of interest form